Saturday, May 30, 2009

Frogged for the First Time

I had to frog my first project last weekend. For those of you who are wondering what I mean by that, it means I ripped it out round by round, all the way to the beginning. the term "frogging" comes from the repetition of the phrase "rip it."

So what project did I have to frog? The yellow sweater I was making for Paul. I was about 80% done with it, and discovered that not only was it so big on him that it would probably fall over his shoulders, but I would also run out of yarn. So, I decided to start over with smaller needles.

I know why this happened, and what I should learn from it. I didn't make a guage swatch. If I had, I might have noticed that it was too large. But I won't learn from this. I usually knit so close to the guage, that it's not worth it to make a swatch. Having to frog a project probably won't change that. I'm stubborn like that.

So I started over, with smaller needles, and I'm about 40% done now. It's looking like the fit will be better, but it's hard to say whether I've got enough yarn. I have some ideas about what I will do if it runs out. I'm hoping I won't have to use them, but I can play it by ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment