Sunday, May 10, 2009

Learning cable knitting


I decided I wanted to learn to cable knit. I love cable-knit things. I love celtic knots, and cable-knitting lends itself to celtic knotwork designs in knitting. So, I decided to try this small project I had run across: a cable-knit mug cozy.

As I expected, cable knitting takes some practice and some getting used to. It feels awkward at first, holding two knitting needles and a cable needle, and it's very easy to get confused as to which needle goes in front and which one you're supposed to be knitting from. And tinking cabled work is a serious pain in the neck.

But by the end of this small project, I pretty much had the hang of it, and it even got to be kind of fun. It inspired me to think of what else I can do with cables. I've sketched out a design to knit a celtic cross on a sweater. I think it will be very challenging, but worth it, if I can manage it. Before I attempt that, I think I'll do a plainer cable knit sweater, something small, like for my son.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment