Saturday, August 1, 2009

The thrill of a new project

I am so excited right now about the newest project I have plans for. I just have to share.

I was hanging out at my favorite LYS, and the fall issue of Interweave Knits magazine had just arrived. On the cover it advertised an article about how to do cables without a cable needle, so I started flipping through the magazine. In the pattern section, I ran across several patterns that make use of reversible cables, which fascinated me. One of them is called the Every Way Wrap. Depending on how you wrap it, it can be a scarf, a shawl, a vest, or a cardigan. How cool is that?

Well, I decided right then and there that I was going to make that. I bought the magazine and I started looking at yarns. If it's going to go around my neck, it's gotta be soft, so I settled on a cashmere blend. There wasn't enough for the size I wanted to make in any one color, so I had to figure out what to do about that, and decided that a combination of light blue for the cables and dark brown for the moss stitch portion would be striking. I found some buttons that went with it, and pretty soon, I had all the supplies.

I work very hard to maintain self-discipline in situations like this. I have been working on this very ambitious sweater project for my dad for about a month and a half now, and I didn't want to abandon it to start on the new project. So I kept to my rule of having only two projects in progress at a time. I made a pact with myself not to start on the wrap until I finish my dad's sweater.

But it's so hard to resist! Wish me luck.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment