Sunday, January 22, 2012

A New Technique: Learning Double Knitting

It's been a while since I really learned a new knitting technique. Lately most of my "adventures" have involved using techniques I already know in different ways. And, to be perfectly honest, a lot my recent knitting hasn't been particularly adventurous. It's been practical. I recently moved to a colder city, and I've felt the need to knit useful items for myself and my children.

One of the lovely things about knitting is that it can be practical and fun at the same time. Right now, double knitting is both for me. It is practical because double-knit items are very warm, having two layers of knitted fabric. It is fun because it is new to me and because it can create endless interesting patterns.

In case you are wondering what double knitting is, I'll try to explain. Double knitting involves working with two strands of yarn (usually of different colors) in a manner that creates a two-sided, reversible fabric. One strand is knitted, creating the front, and the other strand is purled, creating the back. If you swap the two strands, you'll get a stitch of the opposite color. By doing this in pattern, you end up with a reversible fabric, with the same pattern in opposite colors. There are many helpful videos available.

As I usually do when learning a new technique, I started with a small project: a cell phone case. If this works well, I'll probably try something a little larger for my next double knitting attempt, maybe mittens or a hat. Now that I live someplace with real winters, those would be very handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment